The Data Tools program is used to import customer data into LobbyCentral. There are two separate programs that are included:
- Data Tools GUI (Data Tools) that is used to manually import data.
- Data Tools Automate that is used for scheduled / unattended data import.
Data Tools (GUI)
To import LobbyCentral customer data:
Create an import file based on the Layout Specifications.
Run Data Tools.
Click Customer Import.
Click Browse to select your import file.
Set the field Delimiter.
Click Preview to review the first 50 rows, or click Import to start the import process.
Use the Preview function to verify that your data file. If the verification process finds errors, these rows will appear in red.
At the end of the import process, any rejected records will be displayed along with the reason. These records should be repaired and imported in a separate data file.
Data Tools Automate
Data Tools Automate is a command line program that reads a delimited file to import customer information into LobbyCentral. The program can be added to Windows Scheduled Tasks to completely automate your customer import process.
Before you begin, you will need to know:
Name or IP address of the LobbyCentral database server
Name of the LobbyCentral database (usually LobbyCentral)
LobbyCentral database username and password
If you do not know this information, you can examine the LobbyCentralService.exe.config file’s <appSettings> section. This file will be located in the folder c:\program files\fuhr software\lobbyCentral\server on the server.
Go to C:\Program Files\Fuhr Software\LobbyCentral\Data Tools.
Using Notepad, edit CustomerSettings.config.
Set the values as follows:
- filepath: The complete path and filename where Data Tools should look to find the import file, i.e. c:\data\importData.txt
- deliminator: The delimiter used.
- dbServer: Name or IP address of the LobbyCentral database sever
- dbName: Name of the LobbyCentral database.
- dbUsername: Database username
- dbPassword: Database password
- trustedConnection: If Windows Authentication, set to true. Otherwise, leave false.
4. Save the file.
How to Use
Create a customer import file using the layout specifications found in this document.
Copy the file to the location set in CustomerSettings.config.
At a command line, run DataToolsAutomate.exe.
Scheduling Data Tools to Run Automatically
If you have the capability to generate the import file automatically, you can schedule Data Tools to run on a pre-defined schedule to read and import that file.
In Windows, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks.
Create a task.
- Name the task LC Data Tools Automate and add a brief description.
- Check the box “Run whether user is logged on or not.”
- Click the Actions tab and create a new action.
- Select the Action type of Start a program.
- Click Browse and select the DataToolsAutomate.exe file.
- Click OK.
- Click the Triggers tab and create a new trigger.
- Set the desired run schedule and click OK.
Click OK to save the task.
Create a basic task setting the program to DataToolsAutomate.exe and define the schedule.
- One customer per row, comma delimited.
- Terminate each row with a carriage return.
- Do not include header names in the first row.
- If data is not supplied for a field, leave it empty. Do not use a single space. i.e. If not providing the middle name: Test,,Customer vs Test,A,Customer
- Do not qualify text with double-quotation marks.
- Do not exceed the max field size shown in the spec layout.
All fields are required. If the column is not used, pass an empty string for type String or 0 for type Number.
|Account ID Number||String||50|
|Account ID Type||Integer||Use a valid account type as defined
in the Account Types table. Account Type IDs can be found in
Tools->Administration->Lookup Tables->Account Types.
Use 0 as the Default.
|Date of Birth||String||Use format: mm/dd/yyyy|
|SSN||String||20. Use format: xxx-xx-xxxx|
|Phone||String||15. Use format: xxx-xxx-xxxx|
|Mobile Phone||String||15. Use format: xxx-xxx-xxxx|
|Should Deactivate||Integer||0 = No, 1 = Yes.
If ‘Yes’, the customer record’s status will be changed to Inactive.
|Internal Customer ID||String||50 – Your customer ID|